Two Factor Authentication
What is Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)?
Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) is an additional layer of security that ensures you are the only person who can access your SoundCloud account, even if someone else gets access to your password. Anytime someone tries to sign into your account, they will be required to enter a second security code from a connected authentication app (We suggest Google Authenticator on iOS or Android, LastPass Authenticator, or Authy).
2FA is currently not available via SMS.
How can I add Two-Factor Authentication?
2FA can only be set up or removed via the SoundCloud website. However, it will be enforced on the website and the SoundCloud apps.
Before setting up, it is important that you:
- Have a confirmed email address. This is useful if you ever lose access to your account. You can see your email address in Settings on the website - there will be a notice if it is not yet confirmed.
- You will also need a 3rd Party Authentication app such as Google Authenticator or Authy.
When you are ready to add 2FA:
- Go to www.soundcloud.com and then to the settings page
- Click on the Two Factor Authentication tab.
- Scan the QR Code with your authentication app and enter the 6 digit code. This pairs your device with your SoundCloud account.
- If you are unable to scan the QR code, you can enter the Set Up Key directly to your authentication app. It will then give you a 6 digit code to enter back into SoundCloud.
- You will then see a collection of BackUp Codes. These are 10 digit numbers that you can use instead of the normal 6 digit code you get in the app. This is useful if you cannot access your phone. Download the BackUp Codes and store in a secure location.
- Success! Your account is now protected with 2FA.
I already have 2FA on SoundCloud for Artists, how can I set it up?
Some users of SoundCloud for Artists (previously Repost) already have 2FA configured.
If you already used 2FA via App then you have been migrated to the new system. Your existing codes will still work across all of SoundCloud.
Note: It is not possible to change the name listed in your authentication app. That is why it still says “Repost”. We suggest re-configuring in the new system so that it is named “SoundCloud”. This will only take 1 minute!
If you had SMS 2FA configured, then you were not automatically migrated as the new system does not support SMS. You will need to reconfigure 2FA in the Settings page following the instructions above.
Note: Your SMS 2FA will continue to apply on SoundCloud for Artists. Once you add the new 2FA, it will replace the old SMS 2FA.
I'm locked out, what can I do?
Please file a ticket - we will need to verify your identity before granting you access - this is for your own security, so that we don’t risk letting other people into your (or anyone elses’ account).